An international Group specializing in cable lifts and urban transport had a problem in its Entertainment business (responsible for the assembly and installation of capsules for the panoramic Ferris wheels in London, Las Vegas and Macao).
The Group’s subsidiary specialized in manufacturing cabins decided not to propose its services for the Shenzhen and Dubai Ferris Wheel projects due to the client’s requirements in terms of lead times. The Group’s management decided to bid for the project and won this dual contract at the end of 2018!
This achievement would enable the brand to establish itself as the leader in this niche market, but this meant accepting extremely tight deadlines on the two projects. For the Shenzhen project, the Group had a year and a half to design, assemble and deliver 28 capsules to China. For the Dubai project, the Ferris wheel was to be commissioned in the summer of 2018, but after 4 years of work on the project, our predecessor was unable to deliver the capsules on time and removed from the project. The new contract imposed a new delivery schedule: 48 capsules (with a new design) were to be installed by the summer of 2020.
The contract provided for penalties on delays for both projects, amounting to several tens of thousands of euros a day for each project.
- Size of one capsule: 5m in diameter and 10m in length, i.e. 30m²
- Capsule weight: approx. 25 Tonnes
- 48 capsules, including 6 VIP capsules
- Ferris wheel: 250m in diameter (largest in the world)
- Capacity of the Ferris wheel: +/- 1,920 passengers
- Size of one capsule: 4.5m in diameter and 8m in length, i.e. 17m²
- Capsule weight: approx. 16 Tonnes
- 28 capsules, including 6 VIP capsules
- Ferris wheel: 130m in diameter
- Capacity of the Ferris wheel: +/- 700 passengers