We asked by a prestigious watch manufacturer specializing in upmarket watches to carry out a study of its packaging products and facilities. By packaging, we mean all the tools and equipment used to transport, store and “Protect/Safeguard” the watch components throughout the supply chain flow (from the watch component suppliers to the finished watch).
A multidisciplinary team (2 GoConcept engineering consultants and myself for the purchasing aspect) explored the expected requirements:
- Consistency of dimensions (stackable format).
- Easy handling in an automatic storage system.
- Batch and unit packaging.
- Ease of use for users (quick to open and close).
- Traceability (geolocation, batch number, labeling, IOT, etc.).
- Protection of parts (electrostatic, shock, scratch, anti-magnetic, UV, atmospheric protection, etc.).
- Life cycle: management from creation to recycling (no. of wash cycles).
- Maintenance (washing, cleaning, maintenance, etc.).
- Compatibility of format with suppliers.